Bob Marley is a worldwide icon and a personal role model of mine, the lyrical content of his songs remain relevant many decades after his death but it is sad that he doesn’t get the official attention he should get from his homeland Jamaica. I was emailed an online petition today that aims to get 1 million signatures before presenting it to the government of Jamaica and I ask that if you know of Mr Marley and his music and think he deserves to be the 8th National Hero of Jamaica that you sign the petition and blog about it on your own blogs if you have one.
Click here to sign petition
Bob Marley for National Hero Myspace page
It’s been almost 27 years since the death of Bob Marley, yet despite previous appeals by the Marley Family and a host of posthumous awards Jamaica still refuses to accord the Hon. Robert Nesta Marley national hero status, the country’s highest honour. Bob Marley deserves to be among the fraternity of Jamaica’s honored national heroes. To many, Marley was a true musical ambassador and a messenger of peace. He is a legendary icon that cannot and should not be forgotten. Award Bob Marley the Order of National Hero.
Marley’s extraordinary list of recognitions include:
* Order of Merit, Jamaica’s third highest honor.
* The Medal of Peace of the Third World by The United Nations.
* “One Love” adopted as a theme song for the Jamaican Tourist Board and voted as Anthem of the Millennium by the British Broadcasting Company (BBC).
* “Get Up, Stand Up” used as official anthem by Amnesty International.
* “Zimbabwe” is unofficial song of Zimbabwe.
* Artiste of the Century by Billboard magazine.
* Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award
* Exodus voted Album of the Century by TIME magazine.
* Artist of the Century by Billboard magazine.
* Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
*Brooklyn Street renamed Bob Marley Boulevard in New York
* Only musician from Jamaica inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
Marley Related posts on Jamaipanese.com
One Love Jamaica Festival 2007 – Yoyogi Park, Tokyo
Happy 62nd Birthday to the great Bob Marley
Damian “Junior Gong” Marley Wins Grammy
Related posts you might find interesting: