Today I have a Caribbean queen from the twin island republic of Trinidad and Tobago. Ariel Mathews is fresh on the JET program. Arriving about a month ago and settling into life in Japan. I thought it would be interesting to talk to someone new on JET so that anyone applying for JET now or in the future can get a feel of what the early weeks and months are like as well as the application process and more.
- Who is Ariel Matthews NOT?
- What drew you to the JET Programme?
- Did you face any challenges in preparing to apply to the programme?
- What was the application process for JET like for you from start to when you found out you were accepted?
- You left your country for the first time, how did you and your family deal with the big change?
- Where in Japan do you now reside and what is your town like so far?
- What’s the most difficult part of living in Japan so far?
- You were a teacher back home as well, how is the change from the main teacher to ALT?
- How have the early exchanges with your students, fellow teachers, other JETS and the community been so far?
- JET applications are now open again in many countries. Any advice to applicants?
- Finally, are there any creative projects or other undertakings you would like to share?
Tweet me @Jamaipanese or leave a comment below with your thoughts on the episode!